After many years of internal debate and unnecessary apprehension, I can finally say that I am an avocado lover. My initial reservations about this lovely green fruit were washed away when it was perfectly paired with it's berry cousin: the strawberry! I owe this to a local Mexican restaurant that prides itself on it's robust "guacamole" menu.
The menu at this restaurant covers a wide span of flavor profiles from sweet to savory or spicy to mild. This means that there is a type of "guac" for every type of food lover! As I have eaten my way down the list sampling all the varieties, none compare to the first one I had the fortune of trying: Strawberry Guacamole.
After many attempts to recreate this dish for my own purposes, I've finally landed on my own recipe worth sharing. It's quick and easy, and has become a hit at potlucks, parties or cookouts. The recipe can be found below!
- 2 Ripe Avocados (Medium to Large Sized, Pitted and Scooped)
- 1/2 Cup - Chopped Strawberries (Fresh and Ripe)
- 1/8 Cup - Chopped Black Olives
- 1 tablespoon - Minced Garlic
- 3 tablespoons - Chopped Cilantro
- 1 Lime (Finely Zested, Juiced)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a large bowl mash the avocados with a fork or potato masher until coarsely mashed.
- Fold in strawberries, black olives, minced garlic, cilantro and lime until well mixed. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish the top with some olives and chopped strawberries.
- Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate.